Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 74 - Double Trouble

I was reading the Nikon manual today and found that you can take multiple exposure images (meaning you can stop the film from advancing so you can take more shots on the same piece of film).  After a quick search on the net, I came across an article which mentioned you should under expose your image by 1 stop if you want to do 2 exposures.  I pulled the lever which stops the film advancing after the exposure and lined up a shot of tree leaves against the sky.  I did this intentionally because I needed a contrasty base image which has a large light and dark area.  The leaves which will remain black in the exposure will then become the mask for the image in the next exposure.  I've probably just lost everyone at this point.  You can simulate this effect in Photoshop with blending layers but it was really cool to be able to do this in camera.  Check out the man's shirt, it looks like it's on fire.  For a first go, I'm pretty impressed.  Thanks to Mr Carter who just happened to be walking by and willing to be photographed.

Camera:
Nikon F4 with 70-210mm f4-5.6 Tokina lens
Dual Exposure image

Film:
Kodak BW400CN ISO 400

No comments:

Post a Comment